Sunday, June 13, 2010

Cool and Crunchy Lettuce Wraps

I know it's been forever since I posted on this recipe blog. It's because I haven't really cooked anything exciting in a while. We just finished up baseball season last week, and since it always falls in the middle of dinner time, we have had a lot of take-out the last month.

Also, we had a little health scare with my husband. He's doing just great now, but we've made some major eating modifications to try and get healthy here at our house. Now I need to learn how to cook good food that is also low-fat/heart healthy. I don't know how to do that yet. Everything I've tried to adapt has been a little gross. I didn't realize how much cooking I do with tons of cream, cheese, etc. So we've just had a lot of grilled chicken and grilled fish lately.

But I did make a new recipe a couple days ago. It was adapted from a taco recipe I had at a Pampered Chef party about a month ago. Instead of putting it in taco shells, I made the filling into lettuce wraps. It was pretty healthy and good--recipe blog worthy I think. Plus I got to use fresh cilantro from my garden!

Cool and Crunch Lettuce Wraps
1 small head iceberg lettuce
2 limes
3 c. dice grilled chicken breasts
1/2 small jicama
1 small mango, peeled and diced
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
1/4 tsp salt
1 avocado, peeled and sliced (optional)
1/2 cup fat free magonnaise
2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)

1. Wash and separate lettuce, set aside.
2. Make sauce using zest and juice from one lime--add to small bowl. Combine with mayonnaise, cumin, and cayenne pepper, if desired. Chill.
3. In a separate bowl, combine chicken, jicama, mango, cilantro, zest and juice from remaining lime, salt, and avocado if desired.
4. To serve: top lettuce with large scoop of chicken mixture, and about a Tablespoon of sauce mixture.

3 comments:

  1. Where did you find a place to have a garden? Share more recipes using cilantro, on a whim I decided to grow some this year, but I don't know how to use it with anything except salsa. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. How are you going to survive healthy cooking with a mother named "Nanacandy???" heeheehee

    I have a TON of Body for Life recipes that I've collected or adapted. I'll compile them for you. Good stuff. Perhaps doing that will give me the impetus I need to actually EAT THAT WAY. It's been since I've had Jack that I did a consistent BFL menu.

    I DEFINITELY feel better when I eat that way; after eating only clean, healthy food for about a month my body feels different inside...kind of like a car must feel after an oil change.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, I love lettuce wraps and yours look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails