Monday, January 7, 2008

Hawaiian Haystacks

This is a great one for entertaining because it makes a lot, is not expensive, and picky eaters can put what they like on it.

Start with a big scoop of rice, then top with your favorite sauce. We like a chicken gravy (cream of chicken, sour cream, and diced chicken, dilluted with a little milk), but my mom and dad always like a sweet and sour sauce on theirs. When cooking for a crowd, I usually have both so there is an option.

Topping ideas:
  • Diced meat (chicken, ham)
  • grated cheese
  • chow mein noodles
  • shelled sunflower seeds
  • hard boiled egg slices
  • pineapple tidbits
  • green onion
  • corn
  • peas
  • sliced almonds
  • tomato
  • green pepper
  • water chestnuts
This a great "food storage" meal, because I always have rice in the pantry, and at least several of the above ingredients. It's also a good way to use up leftovers.

3 comments:

  1. mandarin oranges are good on these also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, especially with the sweet and sour sauce. Thanks Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I first heard about these I thought they would be gross but I LOVE THEM!

    I never thought of mandarin oranges with sweet and sour sauce, yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails