150 ml milk
100 ml heavy whipping cream
Some butter (about 2 T.)
2 garlic cloves, crushed (mix with salt to make a paste)
salt, ground white pepper and nutmeg to taste (couple of dashes)
1 lb. potatoes (2-3 sliced thinly for an 8 x 8 pan)
1.5 oz. gruyere cheese (or shredded mozzarella with parmesan)
- Melt the butter in a hot pan and add the garlic. Pour the milk and the heavy cream. Season them with salt and nutmeg. Cook it gently.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into thin slices.
- Place some of the potatoes in a layer in a buttered baking pan. Season with salt and ground with pepper. Sprinkle with a little of the cheese. Repeat until all the potatoes and about 3/4 of the cheese are used up.
- Pour the milk mixture over the potatoes until it nearly reaches the top (you don't use it all). Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake uncovered at 350 until done, about 35-45 minutes. Check at 30 minutes, and see if knife slides through cleanly.
- To plate, use a round cookie cutter and serve it with steak.