4 6-7 oz. steaks (filet mignon, tenderloin)
salt and fresh ground black pepper
1/2 c. chopped shallots
3 tsp. fresh crushed black peppercorns
30 ml Cognac
400-500 ml beef broth
150 ml heavy whipping cream
2 tsp green peppercorns
- Season and saute the steaks in the oil. Remove them from the pan and put them into the oven, 350 degrees.
- Drain off the excess fat from the pan (dab with paper towel) and add the shallots. Saute the shallots with the black peppercorns, then deglaze the pan with the cognac.
- Stir in the veal stock and bring to a boil. Cook until the liquid is reduced by half. Add the cream, then season with salt.
- Let the cream boil until you see big bubbles and strain it (to remove peppercorns and shallots).
- Add the green peppercorns into the sauce (do not add the brine/liquid).
- Place the steaks on hot plates, spoon the sauce around, and garnish with watercress.
Serve with potatoes au gratin.