Friday, August 14, 2009

Kalua Pork and Cabbage

(not my picture, from google images)


This was our favorite thing to order when we were in Kauai. When we got home and I was missing the Hawaiian sun, I found this recipe to comfort me. :) It's soooo good, and soooo easy. And my husband loves it when I make this for him. Serve with a big scoop of sticky rice. Yum!

Ingredients:

3-4 lb. pork butt or shoulder
1/4 c. of liquid smoke
1/4 c. sea salt
1 small head of green cabbage

Directions:

Rub the sea salt and liquid smoke all over the pork butt in your crock pot. Fill with enough water to cover the pork and let cook in crock pot until you can easily shred the pork. Reserve about 1-2 cups of the liquid in the crock pot.

Julienne the cabbage into 1/8 inch strips. Saute the cabbage and pork for about 5 minutes (don't brown the cabbage.) Add the reserved liquid and cover to cook on low until the cabbage is wilted but still green. Serves 8-10.

Alternate cooking method: Sometimes instead of cooking it in the crock pot I roast it in the oven (double wrapped in tin foil) at 250 for 5-6 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails