Sunday, November 15, 2009

Creme Brulee French Toast

I am sitting in a stupor of happiness right now.  For real.  I am in love with this new dish.  I want to be BFF's with this French Toast.  I know that sounds ridiculous.  But it's G.O.O.D.

Yum.

When we finished eating, we all just kind of sat around the table staring at each other with happy smiles on our face and sighing.  Joey (my 6 year old) said, "I'm not sure if I was eating a meal or dessert!  That was so good!"

I found this recipe in the cookbook "The Worldwide Ward Cookbook," in the breakfast section.  (I've seen this cookbook sold at Deseret Book, Costco, and Walmart in case you are looking for it.)

Um, we will definitely be having this again.  It will be perfect for Christmas morning.  And conference morning.




Ingredients:

1/2 c. unsalted butter
1 C. packed brown sugar
2 Tbs. corn syrup
bread, sliced, to cover butter mixture (if you are using a reg. casserole dish, it will take 6 pieces)
5 large eggs
1 1/2 C. half-and-half (I used heavy cream because I already had some in my fridge.  Oops--not so healthy but very yummy, hee hee)
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt (I omitted this because I used salted butter)

In a saucepan, melt butter, brown sugar, and corn syrup.  Pour into a 9 x 13 inch glass baking dish.  Arrange bread pieces on top.  Beat together eggs, half-and-half, vanilla, and salt.  Pour egg mixture over the top of the bread.  Cover and chill overnight in the refrigerator.  The next morning, bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.




Happy stupor:


2 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails