Monday, November 2, 2009

Creamy Tortellini Soup

Happy Halloween!

I hope your holiday was great!  I love dressing up and watching my kids have so much fun.  Holidays are so fun with children.

We decided to host a street party this Halloween, so I could have one last chance to feed my kids something healthy before they gorged themselves with sugar for the next few days.

I cooked up 3 pots of soup:  my taco soup, my potato soup, and because I was getting tired of my same old recipes and wanted to try something new--Creamy Tortellini Soup.

I made homemade root beer, and everyone on the street brought a side dish or dessert to share.  We had a great time!

And I found a new soup recipe that I love!  This one was a hit.





Creamy Tortellini Soup (from La Bonne Cuisine)


1 Tbsp. butter or olive oil
1/2 onion, diced
2 carrots, diced
8-10 mushrooms, diced
5 cups water
6 Tbsp. flour
2 potatoes, peeled and diced
1 cup frozen corn
1 (14 oz.) can chicken broth
2 chicken bouillon cubes
1/2 tsp. garlic powder (I used fresh garlic because I had some already on hand)
1/2 tsp. basil (instead of the basil and oregano, I dumped in some italian seasoning)
1/4 tsp. oregano
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper, optional (I just put in a few dashes, and I thought it tasted great)
1/4-1/2 tsp. salt
2-3 cups frozen tortellini
1 (12 oz.) can evaporated milk
4 cups spinach (pile it up and slice through it to get thin pieces)


In a large soup pot, heat butter or olive oil. Add onion, carrots, and mushrooms. Saute for about 5 min. 



In a separate bowl, combine 1 cup cold water with 6 Tbsp. flour. Whisk until smooth. 


Add 4 cups of water to vegetables in soup pot. Stir in the flour and water mixture. Stir to blend well. Add potatoes, corn, chicken broth and all spices and bouillon. 


Bring to a boil. Turn to medium and boil for about 20 minutes or until potatoes are soft. Stir occasionally. 


Add evaporated milk, frozen tortellini, and spinach and cook for 5 more minutes. 







Hope you all had a great Halloween!




1 comment:

  1. Glad you liked the soup and the Teriyaki Pasta Spinach Salad! Definitely two of my favorites. Stop by any time! Lovin' your recipes, too! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails