Monday, December 7, 2009

Penne Pasta in Tomato Cream Sauce







My sister posted this one yesterday over on her recipe blog (Heather's Happy Haven), and it looked so
easy and good.

I love easy and good recipes.

And this one totally fit that description.

We had a super busy day running around playing catch up from the weekend, and taxi-ing the kids to their activities.  Happily, I was able to swing by the grocery store and pick up the ingredients for this on the way home.  I also picked up a bag of salad, pre-made garlic bread that only had to be warmed in the oven, and some frozen mozzarella sticks, and dinner was on the table 20 minutes after I got home.  I love that!

Ingredients:

8 oz penne pasta
1 can Del Monte diced tomatoes with Garlic and Onion
1/2 cup fresh basil or 1 tsp. dried
3/4 cup cream
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese

Cook pasta according to directions. Drain and keep warm. Cook tomatoes over medium-high heat in a skillet until thickened, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat, add basil and cream. Heat thoroughly. DO NOT BOIL. Toss with pasta and cheese. Serve.





(Tip: Do not substitute with half n half, use whole cream) The consistency changes with the half n half.
 

***When I made this I doubled all of the ingredients except for the tomatoes (none of my children will eat them) and used Del Monte diced italian tomatoes with garlic instead because that's all I saw at the store.  They tasted just fine with it.






Thanks Sis!



**Incidentally, Giada from the Food Network made a similar dish, but added shrimp.  If I weren't allergic, I think I would for sure try making it that way.  But for the rest of you shrimp lovers, you should check it out here.  It looks good!

2 comments:

  1. Make this tonight, and it is a KEEPER! Not only because it's good, it is so fast and easy. Thank you for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails